Thursday 12 May 2011

Return of the Nairn

 I feel as though I am only just returning to the norm after just over a week's holiday in some of my favourite UK destinations.
A few weekends back I was booked to work for a society called MACS, a wonderful organisation that helps children born with no eyes and partially developed eyes. It is a very rewarding booking and the families are a joy to work with.
As the booking was in Lancashire I took the opportunity to stay in Blackpool for a few days with friends where we visited Blackpool Pleasure Beach, one of my favourite theme parks. The towering Pepsi Max roller coaster had a bit of a queue but it was well worth the effort. Then there was also Valhalla, an utterly soaking experience.. how I laughed as Jon, my fellow sufferer shuddered as water poured of the end of his nose. As well as these thrill-seekers rides there were rides for the whole group (the girls being terrified) such as the famous ghost train and the mine cart ride.

This amazing weekend was followed by a trip down to Somerset to stay at Longleat's Center Parcs where some of my family joined us. Great food, lots of drinking, swimming and laughs followed. The true beauty of Center Parcs shows when the cars leave site and you can really get in touch with nature (see left). You are simply surrounded by pine forests and wildlife as we experienced on a few nights when a badger made a visit just a foot away from our patio window. We also had the pleasure of indulging in more of nature's wonders when we visited Longleat Safari Park where we hand fed deer and seals... I really am a big kid aren't I?!

Honestly though, if you want a great UK break, Center Parcs can't be beat.

Back to normality now.. albeit with a slightly more zen-like approach...

No comments:

Post a Comment